Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Homework: Causing more harm than good?

As I get closer to my goal of becoming a teacher, I find myself spending more time reflecting on which practices I want to adopt in my own teaching. One of the issues which I have been thinking about is homework. 

Homework has been a highly controversial topic for many years now, but recently it seems to be gaining much more attention. I decided that if I wanted to make an informed decision, it would be important to evaluate the topic from several different perspectives. 
 Retrieved from: http://mirry92.deviantart.com/art/Have-you-done-your-homework-172058454
According to the Toronto District School Board, homework is an important part of a child’s school experience. It allows them to take what they learned during the school day and extend that learning into the home. Additionally, it provides students with an opportunity to formulate good study habits from an early age, leading to further success. Homework is suggested to be a strong foundation for school- home partnerships since teachers, students and parents all have an active role in supporting homework. They also had a homework policy in place which really impressed me. In terms of timing, scheduling, and quantity of homework – the expectations are attached below: 



The expectations put in place by the TDSB convinced me that homework is not problematic if such careful considerations are made. However, when looking further I found some very strong arguments against it. Research has suggested that there is no benefit to homework at a primary level. What's even worse is that homework can actually be problematic for young children. Excessive amounts of homework can result in unneeded stress and pressure which can affect the student's physical and mental health 
(Bogdanovich, 2014). The unofficial rule for time spent on homework is to multiply the grade by 10- and that would determine how many minutes should be spent on homework. However, parents and children have claimed to spend much more time on homework. Another area of concern is that research has also failed to find any significant findings between homework and student achievement. Countries with minimal homework had more successful school systems than countries with a heavy work load (Bogdanovich, 2014).

Another concern was that homework interferes with a student's time to relax and spend time with their family. Homework can also be the barrier which prevents students from taking part in extracurricular or leisure activities which are proven to enhance the well-being of children. Further arguments include that most of the homework which is assigned is meaningless, and does not promote real learning. It also prevents students to all have an equal chance at success because students from upper and middle class homes have better resources to help them (Pilgrim, 2013).  


For anyone who is interested, here's a video clip which provides insight on a school which abolishes homework, and introduces daily reading instead! 

[Awakened Media]. (2012, Sept 12). Elementary school abolishes homework- good or bad idea?
[Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3j6QeqrbXc. 


In light of this new knowledge, when teaching young children, I believe that the disadvantages of homework outweigh the benefits. However, instead of eliminating homework completely, I would utilise an alternative approach to accommodate the people who do support homework. I think that providing interactive activities related to the class material would be a great way to include parents who do use homework as a way to be engaged in the learning process. These activities could be optional so students do not undergo any stress.



After reading this, where do stand on this issue? Please share your thoughts below!


____________________________________________

References:


Bogdanovich, P. (2014, September 8). Homework or no homework? Retrieved November 1, 2015, from http://dataworks-ed.com/homework-or-no-homework/

Homework. (n.d.). Retrieved November 2, 2015, from http://www.tdsb.on.ca/elementaryschool/getinvolved/homework.aspx

Homework: Harmful or Helpful? (2013, October 3). Retrieved November 2, 2015, from https://eduflow.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/homework-harmful-or-helpful/

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this topic, funny how i was talking about this with family earlier this week. I think that proposing if the students do not finish the work they assigned in class as homework that is fair, but i do not believe that specifically assigning homework every night is essential or beneficial for student development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sumayya, your topic this week is outstanding. I come from a background which is representational of both sides of this argument as I attended a Montessori school and then a private and traditional school after that. I can say for myself, I responded well to structure and discipline so I applied myself more when I was given homework to complete. That's not to say not giving homework isn't valid. I believe that a balance needs to be struck and we should be addressing this issue on a student to student level rather then generalizing one decision to all students in a district. I would have really enjoyed to hear a personal experience because I think it would have given the reader some context. Overall, you've consistently impressed me each week with your blogs. Thank you for all of your opinions and insights this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sumayya,
    This was probably my favourite blog of the entire groups, in the entire semester!! I thought this was a great example of how a blog can be controversial but applicable to our learning as future educators, BRAVO!! I believe that yes, homework is important and an integral piece to learning, however, I think that the type of homework assigned can dramatically change students' opinions. For example, I often found myself frustrated with homework when I didn't understand how to do it. When I looked to my parents for guidance, they too were left puzzled with my work. Due to these feelings of frustrations, I did not enjoy the aspect of learning. I think that instead, teachers should focus on extended learning for homework, such as exploring the internet for connections between the learning done in class to how the learning can be applicable to real-life. As we are in university and rely so heavily on homework and working outside of class, do you think that students would be at a disadvantage if they came from a school where homework was not assigned? Overall, I have really enjoyed getting to know you through your blogs, and I commend you on your participation and discussions throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete